Top Questions to Use in Sales
Super Sales Questions for Success in Sales
Rapport Building Questions
- What’s it like living in/next to [insert weather, landmark, or natural marker] all the time?
- Is it true what they say about living in [city/state]? (For example, “Is it true what they say about living in [city origin of client]? Are the freeways essentially parking lots?”)
- Since you lived in [city/state], do you go to [local attraction] all the time?
- I have such good memories of [city/state] — I visited when I was X years old and absolutely loved [destination/feature]. What do you think about [destination/feature]?
- If I had the opportunity to pass through [city/state], what would be your top recommendations?
- I’ve heard [nearby restaurant/city/state] has amazing [food item]. Does it deserve the hype?
- What brought you to Perth?
- What’s something most people don’t realize about [Origin of client]?
- My [niece/son/grandchild] wants to become a [profession]. Do you have any advice I should pass on?
- I saw you used to work in [different field/profession/industry]. How was the transition?
- I’d love to learn more about [customer’s role]. Are there any resources you’d recommend?
- What job would you want if you weren’t a [customer’s profession]?
- Have you always wanted to work in [customer’s field]?
- Since you’re interested in [topic]; I was wondering if you’d read [book on topic]?
- I saw on [LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook] you’re interested in [topic]. How did you [learn about, come across] that [topic, field]?
- I came across [company’s] social media accounts while I was preparing for our call. It seems like a [fun, interesting, fast-paced] place to work. What do you think?
- Your company seems to host [online events, customer events, recruiting events, philanthropic events, industry events] fairly often. Are you involved in those?
- You seem to have a pretty busy schedule. Do you have any productivity tips?
- It seems like you’re fairly busy — do you use apps to stay organized? I’ve been looking for a good one, so recommendations would be helpful.
- Are you planning any work trips or vacations?
Personal questions (Handle with care)
- How comfortable are you with saying no to me?
- Can I ask you something personal?
- Can I ask you some personal questions?
- Why did you choose to do that?
- Where are you/things now ?
Leading Questions (use with care) What is the purpose of a leading question? – To direct a conversation to a particular subject you wish to talk about.
- If I could show you something interesting, would you be interested?
- What are you trying to accomplish this year? What are the major initiatives that people are working towards?
- Are you going to hit those goals? What happens if you do/don’t?
- What else can you tell me about your circumstances?
- Are you having problems with [insert a couple of pain points] like some of our other clients?
- Is your current solution not solving these as well as you would like?
Tie Down Questions
- This particular package here will complement the other services you already have, doesn’t it?
- Having a solid financial plan is a wise move when you have a young family to take care of, don’t you agree?
- If you were to make this happen, what would it mean for you personally?
- If you don’t solve (insert the particular challenge here), what kind of difficulties will you face going forward? What won’t happen that you want to happen?
- What would it do for your overall revenue/workflow/pain benefit if you could handle these issues more effectively?
- May I ask you some questions about your business?
- Could you tell me about your business?
- You specialize in X. Why did you choose that niche?
- What are your goals for the next [3, 6, or 12] months?
- How do you evaluate new products or services before buying?
- Tell me about your average day. How would this solution impact your daily work?
- What’s holding your team back from reaching your goals?
- Why is this a priority for you now?
- Is there anyone else you think I should speak with?
- What is the problem you’re trying to solve?
- What are your top [business/industry] priorities right now?
(Ask questions that demonstrate genuine curiosity, empathy, and a desire to understand.)
- You mentioned you want to retire in a few years. What are you thinking of doing then?
- What’s holding you back from reaching your revenue/profit/other goals?
- What goals and objectives do you have in general? For this area?
- As I mentioned earlier, I’d like to share with you a few ideas that have helped our clients succeed in the X, Y, and Z areas. Before we get going, what else might you like to cover by the time we’re done with this meeting? What will make this meeting successful for you?
- What concerns do you have about switching/implementing a new solution?
Creating a New Reality
- Well you know how… (to create a fact that you want client to know) Everybody knows…. (Creates a fact even if client doesn’t know) builds trust in the information shared.
- (In early sales discussions) You mentioned you’re not having a great experience with your current provider. If you work with us, what are you hoping will be different?
- (In later sales discussions) Given all we’ve talked about, what do you see as being different if we were to move forward together?
- What does success look like for you… your business…this project…our work together?
- If there were no restrictions on you—money, effort, political issues, and so on—what would you change? Can you tell me why you say that?
- If you had a magic wand and could fix one problem, what would it be?
- Where do you want to be/go next ?
(Which question will you get a better and more informative answer from?)
- What are some of the biggest challenges you have experienced in preparing for your future?
- Is the biggest challenge for you, understanding the resources available, the ease of implementation or motivation for preparing for the future?
Option 1, 2 or 3
- Why do you say that?
- Can you explain a little more for me please?
- Id like to know more about that could you fill me in?
- (Reflective questioning requires you to choose a word out of the sentence and make it a question to probe more on it)
- What’s holding you back, or stopping you right now ?
(What is the purpose of a rhetorical question? –To point out an obvious answer/point.)
- If I can get 20% off today would that be ok with you?
Closed Questions (Yes/No Definitive)
- Would you like to go ahead today?
- Did you say you liked this package?